Monday, February 3, 2014

Persuasive Speeches

As we progress into our Environmental Choices unit, we are noticing that many media articles and videos about this topic are persuasive and biased. How do others try to persuade us?

To explore this idea further, we watched an old video of a great persuasive speech. Although we chuckled a little bit about the 90's hair that we saw, there was a really good message. Click below to watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O1Au8vZLA
Severn Cullis-Suzuki


Here is what the students had to say:


Lucas- I thought that she was very motivational. She was almost insulting the adults but they felt bad too so they took her side.

Jordan- I agree with Lucas because she got the adults to realize that what they are doing is wrong. Even though they can't fix it, they can help prevent it.

Bethany- I agree with Lucas and Jordan because the adults can't fix what is happening but can work to prevent it.

Silas- Her perspective is that she thinks of the future. She is thinking of the generations to come, not what is happening right now. For example, if there is a war, they have to deal with it right now.

Julia- I agree with Lucas. I like her metaphor “if you don’t know how to fix it, don’t break it."

Wade- I don’t like how she kept saying that she is just a child. It made her seem like she was not capable of doing anything about it.

Blake- I disagree with Wade. I like how she went back to the same fact that she was just a child. She was actually smarter than them knowing and thinking about the future.

Mikayla- I think that she was very persuasive in saying that the adults should be doing something about it. If I was an adult, I would feel pretty bad and want to start helping.

Taylor- I agree with Wade, she is not an adult yet, when she grows up, she can begin doing some of the things she said.

Ethan- I like how she could talk so strongly in front of all those adults. Her confidence was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment